Re: Fitting PR and RR into logical rules

Sandro Hawke wrote:
> I'm not suggesting building an automatic mechanism to tranform all PR
> rulesets into FO rulesets.  Rather I'm suggesting that if we look at the
> use cases for PR we'll see that semantically they fit nicely in with FO.
>
> Specifically, here's my strawman.   I propose the ECA/Reaction rule:
>
>     on Event
>     when Condition
>     then Action
>
> be treated semantically as the Horn rule (FOL implication):
>
>     if eventHappened(Event) and Condition
>     then actionRequested(Action)
>
> and similarly for production rules (just drop the event part).
>
> This does not mean that an FOL theorem prover would be an effective way
> to execute real-world ECA rule sets, but it does mean that any results
> it was able to compute would be correct.  (That is, it supports the
> Soundness requirement I've been advocating.)  I do expect that some easy
> ECA rulesets would work with resolution-style reasoners using this
> approach, but that's more a confirmation than a goal.  (This proposal
> does not address the split in semantics between LP and FOL - that's a
> separate question.)
>
> If you want to argue against this proposal, please just point to rules
> from our use cases for which you think this approach will be bad and we
> can look at an implementation sketch in detail.
>
>      -- Sandro

One first objectikon is the so-called "conflict resolution". The
standard production / evewnt-condiotion-action rule pasradigm, ie the
one people in the world knoiw about, is based on choosing one of the
rule instance that could "fire" (as it is called).

Deduction rules are by no means based on such a choice.

This is a considerable difference that cannot be ignored.

One second objection is how rules are processed. Event queries have to
be evaluated "event driven", while "conditions" have to be evaluated
query driven. The RIF cannot suggest that there might be no difference,
for otherwise very poor implementation will be given that will destroy
any chance for the RIF to be successfull.

FRancois