From: public-rif-wg-request@w3.org [mailto:public-rif-wg-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Ginsberg, Allen
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2006 5:40 PM
To: Dave Reynolds; RIF
Subject: RE: [UCR] Coverage

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your feedback.

Maybe it was a mistake to include Message Transformation under Third
Party Rule-Interchange Services because the former actually does not
involve interchange of rules so much as interchange of RDF-based data
that has been massaged by rules. I think it was the fact that Message
Transformation includes a third-party, namely the "Mediary Service,"
that led me to see that connection.

The rules in the Message Transformation use-case are RDF-transformation
rules.  The RIF charter is very clear about the importance of
compatiblity with RDF semantics.  So I am wondering if there shouldn't
be a new general use case category with a title something like
"Cross-Ontology RDF-Data Interchange."  This could be based on a
fleshed-out version of your original use-case.  What we want is a
detailed scenario. In your orignal use-case Wiki page you say: "A
concrete narrative and example data set and rules could be provided if
it becomes clear this is a useful enough case to expand in such
detail,"  so I gather you could provide one.

Obviously this is something that the WG as a whole has to agree upon.

Allen