Expressing Ruleset differences as Meta-information for RIF

Hi Allen and RIF members,

          In going through the Design Goals document, I believe that
an important observation regarding capture of meta-information on
rule-sets, (which we had addressed as "Supporting the Reuse of Rules"
use case) has not been included. The last para in section 1 of the
Design Goals document states the following:

"Besides representing an order of magnitude less effort for the
implementation of translation algorithms, the use of a RIF has the
potential for additional benefits. For example, in cases where
rule-interchange mappings cannot be reliably automated, the
information provided by the RIF representation should, at the very
least, be useful in automatically constructing explanations of the
translation impasse.

It is important to understand, however, that the RIF itself provides
neither a translation algorithm nor an explicit mapping between rule
languages. Rather the RIF includes a framework of concepts,
represented as tags in a markup language, that can be used to provide
information about the meaning of wffs in a rule language. For rule
authors who wish to make their rules accessible across languages and
platforms, the more completely, precisely, and accurately they tag
their creations using the RIF, the more likely it is that their rules
will be capable of being automatically translated correctly."

Our use case focuses on the issue of utilizing RIF tags to provide
meta- information about sets of rules rather than just single rules.
In my experience while analyzing rules, we have repeatedly
encountered common patterns across rule sets in various forms,
regardless of representation and domain that the rules are embedded
in. In the use case cited in the RIF Use Cases and Requirements, we
have shown how that different classes such as, MaritimeEquipmentType,
ElectronicEquipmentType and MiscellaneousEquipmentType have been
similarly defined in OWL. The last block, in the use case,  abstracts
the similarities while providing <slots> which indicate the parts
which are different across the rules. I believe that this type of
meta-information about sets of rules, such as similarity across the
rules, can be usefully exploited by systems that utilize RIF for both
exchange and interoperability of rules.

Below I provide a similar (but shorter) example from Cyc rules from
the spatial microtheory, that I had analyzed for the DARPA RKF project:

(#$implies
(#$and
(#$termOfUnit ?CONVEXHULLFN (#$ConvexHullFn ?OBJECT))
(#$termOfUnit ?CONVEXHULLFN-1 (#$ConvexHullFn ?CONVEXHULLFN)))
(#$equals ?CONVEXHULLFN ?CONVEXHULLFN-1))

(#$implies
(#$and
(#$termOfUnit ?INTERIORFN (#$InteriorFn ?OBJECT))
(#$termOfUnit ?INTERIORFN-1 (#$InteriorFn ?INTERIORFN)))
(#$equals ?INTERIORFN ?INTERIORFN-1))

This is a case of discovering the characteristic of idempotency
across various rules where the functions return the same value
regardless of how many times you invoke it. (termOfUnit in Cyc is
like a macropredicate to store the value returned by a function call.)

It is important to capture such similarity in invocations, at a
meta-level in the RIF language, so that these types of rules can be
invoked in any other language easily and translation process can
proceed en masse. In other words, we need a way to separate out the
commonality in formulation of the rules, from the specific
invocations of these rules, so that these rules can be made more
amenable to transfer across different rule representations.

So far my attempt to abstracting the commonality has been in the form
of templates, by recognizing the idempotent rules found above, as a
UniqueFn, which can invoke the set of rules above by being defined in
the following manner:

(#$implies
(#$and
   (#$<UniqueFn> ?<UNIQUEFN>)
   (#$termOfUnit ?<UNIQUEFN-TERM-1> (?<UNIQUEFN> ?OBJECT))
   (#$termOfUnit ?<UNIQUEFN-TERM-2> (?<UNIQUEFN> ?<UNIQUEFN-TERM-1>)))
   (#$equals ?<UNIQUEFN-TERM-1> ?<UNIQUEFN-TERM-2>))

Now the exchange across other rule representation languages can be
carried out both at the syntactic level and at a meta-level  and any
number of such rules can be invoked, with different names, in either
one of the languages to be interoperated with.

Thus RIF needs to capture the meta-level formulation of these rules -
and I see a strong role for advocating first order representation for
such cases, so that one can invoke rules on sets of classes.

Please note that I am not advocating a first order reasoner (as that
can be a hard problem to tackle in Phase I) - as I am not executing
the meta-rules. However it is important to represent them in RIF so
as to generate other rules.

I would be happy to discuss this further in tomorrow's telecon and/or
at the F2F in Cannes,

                 Thanks for listening!
                         Mala

At 01:20 PM 2/16/2006, Ginsberg, Allen wrote:

>Dear RIF-WGers,
>
>At the last telecon I was assigned the action item of starting to
>compile a list of Design Goal issues on the WIKI.
>
>To view what I have done so far please visit
>http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wg/wiki/UCR/Design_Goals.
>
>Here is a synopsis:
>
>I list 3 design goal categories.  Each category has some explanation of
>what it is, and one or more of the following
>
>         1) a list of possible design goals
>        2) a list of NOT-A-Design-Goals
>         3) commentary
>         4) questions
>
>My next step is to go back over the messages in the email list and
>build up these lists and add new categories as required. I hope to get
>that done before the next telecon.
>
>Any feedback and suggestions are most welcome.
>
>Allen

>Dr. Allen Ginsberg        The MITRE Corporation, Information Semantics
>aginsberg@mitre.org       Center for Innovative Computing & Informatics
>
>Voice: 703-983-1604       7515 Colshire Drive, M/S H305
>Fax:   703-983-1379       McLean, VA 22102-7508, USA

Mala Mehrotra
Pragati Synergetic Research Inc.  MS 19-46Q, NASA Research Park,
Moffett Field, CA 94035
Voice:
(650)-625-0274(Office)
(408)-861-0939 (Home Office)