Re: [RIFWG] [Requirements?] A vision for the RIF

Michael Kifer wrote:
>> Michael Kifer wrote:
>>
>>> I said that normative rules imply that we must use some sort of a closed
>>> world assumption. Under the open-world assumption there is no useful way to
>>> distinguish between normative rules and deductive rules, but under the CWA
>>> there is.
>>>

>> I am not sure I can agree with this. I can very well imaginbe normative
>> rules not governed by a Closed World Assumption.
>>

> Francois,
>
> The above must be taken in the context of my earlier message
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rif-wg/2006Mar/0161.html
> where I *proved* that the rule set for which those normative rules act as
> constraints must have some sort of closed world assumption (more precisely,
> cannot use the normal first-order semantics).

I must say that "proved" is a bit strong here.  You have used in your
argument a particular definition of constraint that infallibly leads to
your conclusion.  For those indoctrinated in the logical school (to
paraphrase your term), a constraint can just be an axiom and
satisfiability the test.  This is not to say one is right or wrong, just
that your argument constitutes no proof.

cawelty@frontiernet.net                     Hawthorne, NY 10532