Re: Campaign for position of chair and mandate to close this community group

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 7:34 AM, Duncan Bayne <dhgbayne@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> In fact, my understanding is that the solution you describe (individual
> apps, silo'd in their respective ecosystems / app-stores) is exactly the
> situation that people are trying to fix with EME.
>
> Of course, the solution of EME + closed source, proprietary, hardware-
> and OS-tied CDM is technologically and socially identical to having
> playback apps.

Not quite.

In the non-Web (aka. "native") app case on iOS, an app developer can
license non-Apple DRM such as Adobe Access
(http://www.adobe.com/support/adobeaccess/pdfs/client/ios_readme.pdf)
or Microsoft PlayReady
(http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/press/2013/sep13/09-13playreadypr.aspx).
Does anyone seriously expect the only Web engine that's allowed on iOS
to support non-Apple DRM via EME?

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@hsivonen.fi