Re: Need for culture access with non-mainstream OSes (was Re: Campaign...)

On 2014/01/11 23:27, Mark Watson wrote:
[...]
> There are content owners who require such a 'black box' today and the
> reach of their content is limited to platforms that support that
> capability today. So, (legal) access to that content is not available
> on some platforms today. That situation will continue, based on the
> economics, as you say, irrespective of what W3C does. W3C
> recommendations are not what cause that effect, now or in the future.

Does this mean that the values/standards endorsed by the W3C should be
changed to reflect what is happening on the market rather than be a set
of standards with its own principles and goals ?

> With EME we're hoping to make it *easier* to support more platforms,
> so if anything EME will have the opposite effect.

At best this will change nothing at all in terms of supported platforms.
At worst, CDMs could be used to restrict access content to specific
platforms.

For example, a hardware based CDM built-in to the next iphone could be
used to ensure access to certain content is only possible using that
specific device. Hardware CDMs are in the works, so how does EME ensure
"the opposite effect" ?

The publisher will have the possibility of deciding which platforms may
access their content. This decision could be made based on various
motivations that may range from "Evil Empire" to "low budget" as using
multiple CDMs, to provide access to more platforms, *will* cost more.

--
Emmanuel Revah
http://manurevah.com