Re: Watermarking [Re: Campaign for position of chair and mandate to close this community group]

Sharing culture and helping your friends must not be considered a crime.
Just remember that "Nothing is new under the sun". All our culture consists
of ideas that have been in the minds of many many people and have evolved
with the time (can we really track back the originator of an idea? I think
no). Yet, copyright is leading to a world where we can no longer  talk
about our own reality without infringing some kind of copyright. On the
other hand, Hollywood came to exist because some people attempted to avoid
to pay Thomas Alba Edison for his rights over the cinematograph. They moved
to a state which didn't have any laws about intellectual property rights.
But now they became big, they forgot the oid times.

We have to work together to bring new models. Perhaps, some people, have to
realize that the old model (where you put the money so others can create
and you get most of the benefits) is gone. We have to put the creators in
contact with his public and avoid intermediaries. This intermediaries exert
too much power over what can be brought to the public and what no. Why
should they have that power? Also, people have demonstrated already that
there are ways to get the money necessary to produce a film without
entering the play of great companies. Things like DRM or blaming the people
for sharing culture won't work.

If finally the DRM is allowed to exist in the web (as it seems the most
propably outcome), we may experience some dark times, but I'm confident it
will come the light.

Cheers!