Need for culture access with non-mainstream OSes (was Re: Campaign...)

Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 7:32 AM, cobaco <cobaco@freemen.be> wrote:
>
> > On 2014-01-10 07:11 Mark Watson wrote:
> > > FWIW, EME *can* be fully implemented under a copyleft open source
> > > license on platforms that expose the necessary capabilities. That
> > > is presently
> > only
> > > Windows, but nontheless.
> >
> > we've been over this...
> >
> > EME is only half the system,
> > the other half is an unspecified black box by design
> >
> > so, no, it can not be fully implemented, half the implementation
> > depends on the blessing/help from the CDM-manufacturer, which
> > automatically means anything non-mainstream can forget about it
> >

> Please re-read what I said more carefully. When the CDM component is
> included in the platform and available through public APIs, then a
> complete working implementation of client-side content protection
> using EME can be supported in a FOSS browser. I believe this is the
> case (or soon will be) for Windows.

Unless you consider “Microsoft Windows” to be “non-mainstream”, this is
not a counterexample to what cobaco wrote.

W3C must not develop recommendations that will (if they're widely
adopted by the “content industry”) have the effect of making it
impossible to access a significant part of culture (that which is
distributed by the “content industry”) using non-mainstream operating
systems (including non-mainstream versions of Free Software operating
systems)!

Greetings,
Norbert