Re: Forwarded Invite to Discussion of EME at the European Parliament, Oct. 15, 11:00-13:00

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 5:02 PM, Alastair Campbell <alastc@gmail.com> wrote:
> Henri Sivonen wrote:
>
>> I hope people who are opposed to DRM avoided accepting the talking
>> point that DRM for streaming is needed to uphold the present business
>> model of the movie industry.
>

> I don't think it's needed, I don't think you do (although given the length
> of sentences, I could be wrong!). In fact I doubt Netflix believes it helps
> that much either.
>
> But the studios do.

Well, it's known that the major studios require DRM. The exact line of
thought behind the requirement is less clear, since they don't need to
explain themselves. Do you have knowledge of studio thinking that
links streaming DRM and their business model?

> As I've said elsewhere, it's /their/ perception that needs to change on
> this, Netflix (and BBC etc) are middle men, distributors, it is the content
> creators (copyright holders) that require DRM.

Yes, I'm aware of that.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@hsivonen.fi