Re: Forwarded Invite to Discussion of EME at the European Parliament, Oct. 15, 11:00-13:00

Henri Sivonen  wrote:

> Well, it's known that the major studios require DRM. The exact line of
> thought behind the requirement is less clear, since they don't need to
> explain themselves. Do you have knowledge of studio thinking that
> links streaming DRM and their business model?

Nothing first hand. From UK places (being vague), my impression is that DRM
is a general requirement from content creators. (Not just big studios, but
standard TV production.)

I would speculate that it is not particularly well understood by the people
requiring it, but because the big studios require it everyone else feels
they should.
It is probably the sort of thing that gets cut and paste from one contract
to the next.

I wonder whether they even differentiate between files and streaming?

The problem maybe that someone raises the point, and in a room of studio
execs and lawyers, they simply say: no, DRM is required.

-Alastair