Re: Danger of DRM technologies stack

Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> writes:

>>     JF> On my open web however, you don't need somebody else's
>>     JF> permission to do something, that's the beauty of the web being
>>     JF> truly open.
>>
>> Exactly, it would be nice if all technologies mandated and promoted by
>> W3C standards could be used and implemented to the full extent by anyone
>> without asking for permission.
>>

> And, indeed, the EME specification will have that property, just the same
> as <object> in HTML. Proprietary DRM systems obviously don't have that
> property, but noone is suggesting the W3C mandate or promote them any more
> than it mandates or promotes Microsoft Silverlight, for example.

The W3C is being asked to publish EME as a *recommendation*, and nearly
every use of EME, if not every use, will be DRM (proprietary is
redundant).

That is qualitatively different from W3C's past relationship to
Silverlight.

Even if it weren't, the fact that the mistake was made before would not
be a reason to make it again.

-john

GPG Key: 61A0963B | http://status.fsf.org/johns | http://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=8096>.