RE: Danger of DRM technologies stack

Milan Zamazal wrote:

>     JF> On my open web however, you don't need somebody else's
>     JF> permission to do something, that's the beauty of the web being
>     JF> truly open.
>
> Exactly, it would be nice if all technologies mandated and promoted by
> W3C standards could be used and implemented to the full extent by
> anyone without asking for permission.

Allow me to repeat it once again (and again, and again, and again...)

NO-ONE is mandated to do ANYTHING with W3C Standards - there is no mandate!
Period. The End.

The W3C is not a government or "ruling force" - there are no enforcement
officers, there is no penalty for not using W3C standards, or for providing
incomplete support. Large swaths of the internet today willfully ignore W3C
standards
(http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=www.google.com&charset=%28detect+automati
cally%29&doctype=Inline&group=0) and yet the web keeps working.

Browser developers are free to support, or not support EME as they choose.
Developers and content owners are free to use, or not use EME with any
specific CDM or collection of CDMs. Users are free to choose a browser with
EME support, or one without EME support.

*IF* however you wish to view Premium Content over the web using nothing but
a browser (as opposed to downloading and installing a native application)
then you will need to use a browser that will support EME, as that is one of
the Terms of Condition between the Content Owner and you the consumer. If
you do not like those terms, don't make the purchase.

The web will continue to work, and it will continue to be open, because you
don't need anyone's permission in all of those choices - they are yours
alone to make.

JF