Re: I strongly urge all supporters to reconsider the EME proposal. It is not in your best interests!

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 8:56 AM, Karl Dubost <karl@la-grange.net> wrote:

> Mark,
>
> Le 17 mai 2013 à 11:24, Mark Watson a écrit :
> >> DRM goes far beyond reason as it treats the legitimate consumer as a
> threat.
> > Do you also think that RFID tag detectors at the doors of stores treat
> legitimate shoppers as a threat ?
>
> This metaphor is not good. It's completely unrelated. But if you really
> want to go this way…
>
> RFID tag is here to forbid the customer to runaway from the shop with
> something the person has *not bought yet*. Once it has been bought by the
> person, the RFID tag is *removed*. The person can sell it again, cut it,
> expose it, share it with anyone.

I accept its not the best analogy, but still, the RFID tag is there to
forbid the customer from doing things with the product when they have not
paid for the right to do those things - in this case running away from the
shop with it. Equally, with content, DRM prevents the user from doing
things with that content when they have not paid for the right to do those
things. The analogy breaks down because DRM may prevent you from doing
things that you have agreed *not* to do, have *not* paid for, but where
those terms and the requirement of payment are later determined to be not
legally enforceable for some reason. But the analogy is sufficient to
illustrate that using technical mechanisms to prevent customers from doing
things with a product when they have not paid for the right to do those
things is not generally regarded as an affront to legitimate customers,
which was my point.

...Mark