Re: I strongly urge all supporters to reconsider the EME proposal. It is not in your best interests!

On Fri, 2013-05-17 at 12:50 +0200, Emmanuel Revah wrote:
> On 2013/05/16 17:41, Mark Watson wrote:
>
> > Why is it not reasonable for a content owner to require the use of DRM
> > ?
>

> I don't think I said that (perhaps I did?). I do recall saying that I
> don't oppose EME being developed outside the scope of the W3C.

I think that's a key point. We could argue for years about DRM, but I
haven't read so far a valid argument on why this lies on the scope of
W3C.

Following the discussion here (and reading most of the draft) it seems
that it's technically impossible for a Free Software browser, under a
Free Software platform, to implement the proposed "solution". I
understand (though I disagree) why some content providers may want this,
but I fail to see how this aligns with W3C mission about Open Web.

Quoting from W3C mission [1]:
"One of W3C's primary goals is to make these benefits available to all
people, whatever their hardware, software, network infrastructure,
native language, culture, geographical location, or physical or mental
ability"

[1] http://www.w3.org/Consortium/mission

Regards

Nikos Roussos