Re: “Content protection” vs. “DRM” (was: Re: Letter on DRM in HTML from the Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus)

On 18/06/2013 14:54, "Henri Sivonen" <hsivonen@hsivonen.fi> wrote:

>Therefore, it would be nonsensical to suggest that the charter item is
>potentially about watermarking. If the powers that want "content
>protection" were satisfied with watermarking, there'd be no need for a
>charter item.

I agree that the current industry push is largely focused on enabling
playback of DRM-protected content in HTML media elements, because that's
where the major pain point appears to be. That push is obviously done at
the expense of other content protection mechanisms.

That does not mean we should, however, reduce the field of content
protection on the web to DRM now and forever. If for example watermarking
becomes the norm for the kind of audio/visual content we are considering
at the moment, there will be demand for APIs to expose watermaking/rights
metadata (as Karl hinted in his e-mail earlier today). As a community
group looking at the topic, I'd suggest we definitely want to keep the
scope of content protection broad enough.

I also personally [*] find it interesting that good support in the web
platform for less obnoxious / controversial methods of content protection
could make it possible for better commercial services to be built, and may
eventually shift the industry's position away from DRM - but I understand
this is very much a minority opinion at the moment.

--
Olivier

[*] As in, here and pretty much consistently in my interaction with this
community, I make no claim to representing my employer's position or even
remotely pretend to be an industry expert, etc etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk

If you have received it in
Do not use, copy or disclose the
immediately.