Re: What is the "open web" ?

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 9:16 PM, piranna@gmail.com <piranna@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, I don't know of any DRM system that hasn't been broken totally
> or partially until this moment... :-) Also, some of the billionare DRM
> systems has ben broken in just some hours, is that enough proof that
> they are useless? :-D

As long as law-abiding technology providers worry that the broken DRM
system still constitutes an “effective technical protection measure”
legally, their hands are tied in terms of what features they can ship.
In other words, broken DRM systems are still useful for controlling
what features are available in mainstream on-brand mass-market
consumer products.

Consider HDCP. It has been reported that the keys for HDCP were
leaked. It has been reported that it’s possible to buy an HDCP ripper.
Still, you don’t see HDCP ripping functionality in consumer
electronics sold on the high-street from the well-known brands that in
the past made VCRs and recording audio cassette decks available.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@hsivonen.fi