Re: Next meeting agenda (October 2015)

On 9 October 2015 at 10:45, Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org> wrote:

> * Ruben Verborgh <ruben.verborgh@ugent.be> [2015-10-09 10:03+0200]
> > > Eric may have a ton of experience with smoothly going teleconferences,
> > > maybe he could help with chairing (i'll ping him on chat), in case that
> > > you would prefer to keep your focus on particular topic mentioned
> above?
> >
> > My 2 cents: it's easier for the process if the call is chaired by
> somebody that doesn't need to go too much into the technical discussions.
> Then the chair focuses on agenda and timing.
>
> I think the qualities of a good chair are:
>  1 organized - keeps track of who thinks what
>  2 perceptive - can dive into tech details, but only when necessary
>  3 coherent - can explain issues and plans to everyone
>  4 creative - invents processes and desiderata for tech decisions
>  5 ruthless
>  6 ruthless
>  7 ruthless
>  8 charismatic - helps compensate for ruthlessness

The bar for a CG chair is quite low.  It's just a case to make sure the
group is active and talk to W3C staff, maybe once every year or two.

Chairing a telecon is slightly different, and sometimes requires a time
commitment and also to set an agenda.  But these telecons will not be IG or
WG, so quite informal.  Tho Im sure organizing telecons could be delegated
so someone willing to share the load.

Ive followed bergis work for some time 5+ years and have and his practical
approach and technical knowledge have stood out for me, which contrasts to
the common academic / theoretical DNA of the sem web.  The fact that he has
a web identity using 5 star linked data also shows he's prepared to eat his
own dogfood.  The other person that has stood out in this respect is
Nicola.  Either of those 2 would get my vote, if they have the time.