Re: report of the October meeting

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 9:33 AM, Ruben Verborgh <ruben.verborgh@ugent.be>
wrote:

> Hi Melvin,
>
> > I suppose we all have our favourite js rdf libraries and favourite
> features.
>
> Yes, but the problem is that none of the RDF libraries have a complete
> feature set,
> and that each library has their own way of representing triples.
> We want to unify the way of representing triples,
> so all libraries can talk to each other more easily;
> This makes it easy to combine the features we need.
>
> > OTOH we are a small group with divided resources.
>
> And we're trying to unify those resources.
>
> > Would it be fair to say that most of the RDF JS libs are in the category
> "hobby project", no direspect meant by the term.

+1

> Some of them are, but not all of them.
> If I can speak for my own libraries, they are production-level code.
> BUT they represent triples in their own way, so conversions are necessary..

I agree that the code quality of these projects is sometimes
production-level. Hobby project might be the wrong term, but most of these
projects are either written in a context of academic projects with a
limited runtime, or in the spare time of some developers. Projects from
both scenarios often do not have longevity: Academic code often stalls in
development after the project finishes, and I can only name a few projects
that are supported by one or two developers and have been going strong for
many years.

gr Laurens