Re: Markup questions: html/body, datatype="", double predicates

On 10 Dec 2008, at 10:13, Toby A Inkster wrote:
>> 2. Behaviour of datatype="" when the content includes *RDFa* markup.
>> Let's say I have this in my HTML:

>>   I work at
>>   <a rel="foaf:workplaceHomepage" href="http://www.deri.ie/">DERI
>>   Galway</a>.
>>
>> This works as expected, it creates two triples, a bio:olb triple
>> whose
>> value is an rdf:XMLLiteral, and a foaf:workplaceHomepage triple whose
>> value is the DERI URL.
>
> Someone butt in and correct me if I'm wrong, which I may very well
> be, but actually the *opposite* behaviour should be expected. With
> your initial HTML sample, only one triple should be created - the
> XMLLiteral. The foaf:workplaceHomepage should be *ignored*!

You are right, and this is actually what happened. I didn't check
carefully what actually happens in the “good” case. Sorry for causing
confusion.

> Take a look at the RDFa syntax specification and search it for the
> string "[recurse]" - you'll find it crops up four times in the
> processing sequence. The key bits are:
>
> "1. First, the local values are initialized, as follows: the
> [recurse] flag is set to 'true' {...}"
>
> "9. {...} Once the triple has been created, if the [datatype] of the
> [current object literal] is rdf:XMLLiteral, then the [recurse] flag
> is set to false."
>
> "11. If the [recurse] flag is 'true', all elements that are children
> of the [current element] are processed using the rules described
> here {...}"

This still seems to indicated that in the case of @datatype="",
processing should continue into the subtree.

So I still believe that the Distiller is wrong in the @datatype=""
case. It does not generate triples for RDFa embedded inside the
literal, but it should.

Richard