Re: Markup questions: html/body, datatype="", double predicates

Hi Ivan (and other spec lawyers),

On 10 Dec 2008, at 12:49, Ivan Herman wrote:
> because the distiller is a piece of software, and was written by me,
> therefore distiller has bugs:-) That is part of the ABox:-)

Then let's try to identify some of those blank nodes ;-)

>> 2. Behaviour of datatype="" when the content includes *RDFa* markup.
>> Let's say I have this in my HTML:

>>  I work at
>>  <a rel="foaf:workplaceHomepage" href="http://www.deri.ie/">DERI
>>  Galway</a>.
>>
>> This works as expected, it creates two triples, a bio:olb triple
>> whose
>> value is an rdf:XMLLiteral, and a foaf:workplaceHomepage triple whose
>> value is the DERI URL.
>>

> ???  I have put up your test file on the web by removing the
> @datatype:
>
> http://www.ivan-herman.net/Misc/2008/cyg-test.html
>
> and what I get via the distiller is:
>
> <http://www.ivan-herman.net/Misc/2008/cyg-test.html#me> bio:olb "I
> work
> at <a href=\"http://www.deri.ie/\" rel=\"foaf:workplaceHomepage\"
> xml:lang=\"en\" xmlns=\"http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml\">DERI
> Galway</a>."^^rdf:XMLLiteral.
>
> Ie, the foaf:workplaceHomepage triple is _not_ generated.
>
> And that is correct! As Toby said in his reply, if a property is found
> and a literal is generated, all processing should stop at that
> point...
> I remember that we had lots of discussion on that issue in the group,
> but that is indeed the final conclusion.

You are right, I was confused. When there is no @datatype, then an XML
literal is generated, and the RDFa inside it is not parsed, which is
the behaviour described in the spec. My apologies.

>> Now I want the bio:olb as a plain literal, so I add datatype="" to
>> the
>> foaf:workplaceHomepage triple disappears. Annoying! Is this the
>> correct
>> result? I sort of hope that it's a bug in the RDFa Distiller...
>
> Again, this behaviour is actually the right one. Labelling a subtree
> as
> a @property means that this subtree is, sort of, removed from the RDFa
> processing.

Are you sure?

Quoting the spec: “Processing generally continues recursively through
the entire tree of elements available. However, if an author indicates
that some branch of the tree should be treated as an XML literal, no
further processing should take place on that branch, and setting this
flag tofalse would have that effect.”

It doesn't say anything about stopping when the author indicates that
some branch should be treated as a plain literal.

Also relevant: “Once the triple has been created, if the [datatype] of
the [current object literal] is rdf:XMLLiteral, then the [recurse]
flag is set to false.”

Reading this makes me just more confused. I'm not sure how to
interpret this. Obviously, if I set @datatype to rdf:XMLLiteral, then
it should not recurse, that's clear.

But what if I don't specify @datatype at all? This will generate an
XML literal if there's markup in the child nodes. But does it trigger
the condition in this sentence? Is the [datatype] rdf:XMLLiteral in
that case, or is the [datatype] unspecified? The question is if
[datatype] refers to the @datatype attribute here, or to the RDF
datatype of the resulting RDF node, in the RDF abstract syntax sense.

Hope there's a test case in the suite that answers this question ;-)

Richard