Re: HTML+RDFa Editorial Comment

On 02/01/2013 12:06 PM, Stefan Schumacher wrote:
> In 'Status of This Dokument', list item 2 in Changes: Now: HEAD and
> BODY Suggestion: Same style like other elements, enclose in 'code',
> so it will be written in small orange? letters.

Fixed.

> Just now I see. Now: Status of This Document

I believe that the capitalization of 'this' is correct. In titles,
adjectives are capitalized. This is acting as an adjective in this
sentence, thus it is capitalized.

http://www.writersblock.ca/tips/monthtip/tipmar98.htm

> The whole spec has a different way to approach capital letters.
> Maybe if you have too much time, go through the document again and
> see if you would like to stick to one pattern. Pattern 1 for headings
> like in suggestion 1: One pattern would be, nouns capital, rest
> small.
>
> Suggestion 1 is anyway mostly used in the spec, only exceptions are
> Normative reference and Informative reference, where, after pattern
> 1, 'reference' would be capital too.

Unfortunately, ReSpec (the spec editing tool) is the one that labels
those reference sections, so I can't easily change this and have it
stick around. I'm going to leave it as is for the Last Call... and
hopefully when the REC comes around, I'll remember to fix the
capitalization for those last two sections.

> Following a Ctrl F or Ctrl H list: - Please check User Agent, user
> agent is a general term from my point of view.

Fixed. Changed to all lower-case to match HTML5 spec.

> - Please check Web, sometimes capital, sometimes small, suggestion:
> keep it small. Only in Semantic Web Deployment Work Group, it is
> fine. Ähm, is it Work or Working Group?

Fixed.

Web -> web
Work -> Working

> - I could agree to write Infoset with a capital letter, because it is
> kind of a born child of XML Information Set, but it could be small
> also, even in the Infoset spec it is mixed up. In HTML5, it is
> small.

Fixed.

Infoset -> infoset to match HTML5 spec.

> - Even 'intial context' as a child of RDF is not in capital letters
> (my argument to keep other words small).
>
> - Media Type to media type?

Fixed.

> - Host Language to host language?

Fixed.

> - above example 8 is 'Pattern' in italic, maybe small 'pattern'

Fixed.

> - 5.2 RDFa Processor to RDFa processor?
>
> 2.1 Document conformance, list item 3
>
> Now: conformant with - 2 occurances Suggestion: conform to Note: I
> couldn't connect to conformant mentally, and after "serious" research
> it is clear: conformant is geek language, even cromulent is in
> Wiktionary, but it is a self made word by The Simpsons. Keep it, if
> you have to only. ;-)

Fixed.

> 2.3 User Agent Conformance, list item 1 Now: in Conformance
> requirements section ... Suggestion: in 'Section 2.3: Conformance
> requirements' ... Note: It looks so nice in other parts of the spec,
> when it is a link in blue, but I am aware, that a direct link to
> that part in HTML5 is not possible at the moment, so you might just
> skip this.

Fixed. I put the link in there, the HTML5 spec is in LC/CR so the
chances that this will change in the future is slim. We'll double-check
it before it goes into REC.

> 3.1 second last list item Now: HTML Literal, it is in bold, means
> included in a dfn Note: Is it specified here? Does it need the dfn?
> Just looks a little odd in my eyes.

Fixed. It didn't need the dfn, we don't refer to it from elsewhere in
the document.

> 3.1 second last list item Now: All one sentence, translators will
> start throwing stones and even non native english readers of the
> english text might consider to do so! Suggestion: Cut the sentence
> like: ... the value of the HTML Literal is a string, created by
> serializing nodes to text. This applies to all nodes that are
> decendants of the current element, not including the element itself.
> The HTML Literal is given a datatype of ... . Note: I am sure, you
> might find a better way to express it than me, but be kind to your
> readers.

Fixed.

> 4. Extensions ..., list item 3 Now: If any RDFa attribute is present
> on the |link| or |meta| elements, they /must/ be considered flow and
> phrasing content if used outside of the |head| of the document. Note:
> 'must be considered flow and phrasing content, if used outside of the
> head of the document'. Hm, I am a novice and don't get the meaning of
> that easily. Is it possible to express that in common HTML of RDF
> talk, what do I have to do with them?

Fixed. I tried to clarify. See what you think.

> 5. Backwards Compatibility Now: detail details Suggestion: The
> following sections explain/point out the details of backwards
> compatibility for RDFa processor implementations. Note: Do you
> really say detail xyz details? My version doesn't sound too nice
> either, better idea?

Fixed.

> 5.1 first paragraph Now: While utilizing |@xmlns:| is now frowned
> upon, there are instances Suggestion: But there are instances where
> it is unavoidable (to use @xmlns:) - ... Note: Frowned upon is
> little bit not specification language and the beginning of the
> sentence doesn't really add any meaning, the sentence before already
> says that. Sorry for wanting to keep the spec boring. Last I would
> feel ok with deprecated instead of frowned.

Fixed.

> 5.5 DOM ..., second paragraph Now: The intent of the RDFa processing
> instructions are to provide ... Suggestion: The intent of the RDFa
> processing instructions is to provide ... Note: The 'intent' is
> singular, the RDFa processing instructions are plural, but the
> 'intent' is the subject of the sentence and the instructions 'are'
> there to confuse you. ;-)

Fixed.

> 5.4 and 5.5 Now: agnostic, 2 occurances Suggestion: none Note: Is
> agnostic the right word?

Fixed. agnostic -> independent

> 5.5.1, in 1. and 2. Now: a [IRI mapping], two occurances Suggestion:
>  an [IRI mapping] Note: I think it is a mapping, but an IRI mapping.

Fixed.

> That should be it for now. :-) Stefan

Whew! Excellent edits, Stefan!

That's all of the edit suggestions! I'm prepping the LC document for
publication now.

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: Aaron Swartz, PaySwarm, and Academic Journals
http://manu.sporny.org/2013/payswarm-journals/