Re: Behavior of @property with @typeof and incomplete triples

Gregg,

I have not looked at the details of the processing steps, just at my implementation. I am looking at what I would expect here to happen...

First, let us look at an RDF 1.0 case, and using @rel instead of @property; also, put @typeof aside, using a @resource instead:

 <head>
   <title>Test 0058</title>
 </head>

What we get in 1.0:

@prefix foaf: <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/> .
@prefix ns1: <http://www.example.org/#> .

ns1:ben foaf:knows [ foaf:homepage <http://www.ex.org/>,
                <http://www.ex1.org/> ] .

(This is how RDFa 1.0 solves the case of 'double' chaining in some way. I checked your distiller, it produces the same thing!)

If I switch to 1.1, the difference is minimal (removing xmlns) :

 <head>
   <title>Test 0058</title>
 </head>

The generated RDF is the same. Now I exchange to property:

 <head>
   <title>Test 0058</title>
 </head>

And the generated RDF is still the same! Great, this is what we wanted...

Now I can add @typeof. The philosophy is that, in presence of @property, the @typeof is bound to the resource. So if I take:

 <head>
   <title>Test 0058</title>
 </head>

I get:

@prefix schema: <http://schema.org/> .

ns1:ben foaf:knows [ foaf:homepage <http://www.ex.org/>,
                <http://www.ex1.org/> ] .

<http://www.ex.org/> a schema:Thing .

<http://www.ex1.org/> a schema:Thing .

and, I believe, this is what one would expect! Finally, I remove the @resource; again, the philosophy is that @typeof would create a bnode; in effect, a @typeof alone is a shorthand for a @resource="_:a":

 <head>
   <title>Test 0058</title>
 </head>

And I get:

@prefix foaf: <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/> .
@prefix ns1: <http://www.example.org/#> .
@prefix schema: <http://schema.org/> .

ns1:ben foaf:knows [ foaf:homepage [ a schema:Thing ],
                [ a schema:Thing ] ] .

Which still looks o.k. to me!

The bottom line is that in the new setup the original test would create a backward compatibility issue. Yes, that is a pain. But I am not sure that we have to go out of our way to handle that case when, I believe, the current rule is consistent.

Your turn to convince me:-)

What actually makes me think: I think somebody (you? Toby?) should probably create a separate W3C Note on the backward compatiblity/incompatibility issues.

Ivan