Re: Comments on the profile management (Re: RDFa Default Profile Management/Vocabularies/Authoring)

On Feb 20, 2011, at 19:27 , Manu Sporny wrote:

> Hey Ivan,
>
> Sorry to hear that you're sick. :(

Thanks...

[snip]

>> - I would not want to have a reference to purl.org. I am not against
>> purl.org at all, but I do not think it is relevant in this text.
>
> The reason I placed the reference to purl.org in there is to give people
> an understanding of what we mean by "long-lived" and "persistent URL
> service". I've changed the wording to take the purl.org vocabulary out
> of the requirement and place it into a sentence describing an example of
> such a service:
>
> """
> If the storage location of the vocabulary may change over time, the
> vocabulary maintainer SHOULD use a persistent URL re-directing service
> to provide a URL that is guaranteed to resolve to the vocabulary
> document over the course of 30+ years. For example, the http://purl.org/
> service is one such persistent URL re-directing service.
> """

All this is true and better than before, but it is, in reality, not for _profile_ but for _vocabulary_ authors. These two are different: profile authors do not necessarily author profiles! This should be made crystal clear.

>> In general, the 'Maintaining a Vocabulary in a default profile'
>> sounds like a more general set of statements on profiles. I am not
>> sure it is appropriate for the page on default profile. Let us not
>> overspecify things.
>
> That section is important to ensure that people that want to have their
> prefixes/vocabularies in the default profile are aware of the
> maintenance requirements of vocabularies in the default profile. These
> requirements do have some things in common w/ maintaining regular
> vocabularies, but we don't really specify what those requirements are
> anywhere.
>
> I'm getting ready to ask a number of communities if they would like
> their vocabularies placed into the default profile and need to be able
> to point them at something that summarizes what is expected of them once
> their vocabulary is in a default profile.

I understand that, and that is indeed good to have.

> I do think it is appropriate on that page because it helps folks get a
> complete picture of how all of this default profile stuff is going to
> work (from the viewpoint of W3C, vocabulary authors, and web page
> authors). If you feel strongly that we should remove it, where else
> should we put the information - another wiki page?

Sorry if give only very general guidelines here, apart from not being not really well, it is is also a bit late here. I just wanted to have this said...

So... I think there three different 'audience' to the page (and it is fine to have all this on one)

- Authors of vocabularies. Issues like stability of semantics, long term URI-s, etc.
- Authors of profiles in general. Issues like, for example, cache control in the HTTP headers, stuff like
- Authors of default profiles (like me:-). Specific URI-s, and expected refresh range. And it should be clear that we do not have yet a clear policy on how vocabulary prefixes or terms would get on those!
- Authors of RDFa files

The last entry is your last entry on the wiki page, but I have the impression that it would make it clearer if the different entries were restructured along the first three items.

Just a thought. Again, I do not have time right now to get this things into a more specific form, and may not be realizable. So it is just a food for thoughts...

Good night!

Ivan