use of itemref

From: Lin Clark <lin.w.clark@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 16:54:41 +0200
To: public-rdfa-wg@w3.org
Stéphane asked me to send an email regarding
http://www.w3.org/2010/02/rdfa/track/issues/105

Something that came out of the microdata BoF at DrupalCon was the fact that
themers are moving fields outside of the entity wrapper. This causes
problems for both RDFa and microdata because the item is no longer properly
nested.

Because microdata offers the itemref, we should be able to enable that
pretty seamlessly with microdata. We would be able to have a checkbox on the
field settings form that says this field uses an itemref. A metatag with
itemref would be placed in the body and would point to the field wrapper.
However, I'm not sure whether this is necessary in RDFa since 'about' could
be used. I haven't dug into the code yet, so I'm not sure whether an itemref
in RDFa would make this easier or take the same effort.

-Lin

--
Lin Clark
DERI, NUI Galway <http://www.deri.ie/>