Re: Musing on URI references vs. URI-s as string

On Sep 21, 2010, at 23:26 , Nathan wrote:

> Ivan Herman wrote:
>> Dear all,
>> this is just wondering about an idea...
>> One of the frequent issues that the non-RDF developers' community has with RDF in general and RDFa in particular is the fact that RDF makes a sharp difference between a URI as a string and a URI as a unique ID in RDF. Many time they do not understand it or, if they do, their claim is that the lambda Web designer would not understand it. Witness the format chosen by Facebook for their vocabulary; I have also received a set of comments from Kavi Goel, from Google, who had a similar issue with RDFa (in his formulation it is the differentiation between @rel and @property). (I have not yet received an authorization of Kavi to forward his comments on the public mailing list, unfortunately, but that is the issue that stuck to me.)
>> While I do believe this distinction is important on the RDF level, I wonder whether we can do something about it on the serialization level. A very simple approach would be the following additional rule:
>> [[[
>> if the value of a literal for a @property (either as retrieved from @content or the real text) is a valid absolute URI, and there is no @datatype present, then the value should be considered as a URI reference (in RDF terms) rather than a literal. (A variation of this is that the literal is an absolute URI or a valid CURIE.)
>> ]]]
>
> what if @lang/@xml:lang is present?

Right. I would simply ignore the lang.

>> - in practice I think people will use @property almost everywhere instead of @rel, which will mean some sort of an educational challenge: why would people use
>
> Glad to hear you saying this, after all what is a web of data without links!
>
> One thing I have noticed is that this important factor isn't really covered in the primer, and RDFa Core could be a bit more explicit / verbose. It may well be worth:
> - adding a section to the primer that deals specifically with how to talk about resources (with RDFa examples and associated triples produced).
> - prioritizing "URI Object Resolution" in RDFa Core to be 8.3.1
> - adding the <span @property/@rel="foaf:homepage" examples showing how @property/uri-text produces a literal, whilst @rel/@resource produces a URI resource (again in RDFa Core under URI Object Resolution). It's a good clarifying example.
>
> Whilst I understand and would like to see this addressed, I have a gut feeling that it may be better resolved with education.
>
> This reply suddenly got a little bit longer!

Well, it is always possible to refer to education in general, but I do not think that relying solely on education will work. This issue of string vs. URI has come to the fore in the discussions with Facebook, the feedbacks from Google... and it may become one of the major stumbling blocks.

Which of course does not invalidate your statements about the importance on the primer!

ivan