Re: HTML WG: ISSUE-120 Use of prefixes is too complicated for a Web technology

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 8:12 PM, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
>> On 09/16/2010 06:47 AM, Nathan wrote:
>>> Is the HTML editor open to having first class support for
>>> prefixes/CURIEs in HTML, such as the introduction of a new metadata
>>> element "prefix" with the attributes @name and @href (or "curie" with
>>> the attributes @prefix and @href)?
>> I do not believe that Ian is open to that particular mechanism. Ian is
>> asserting that the use of prefix:reference mapping (aka: CURIEs) in
>> HTML+RDFa is too complicated for most authors and that they will get it
>> wrong.

I just wanted to quickly hook back up on this and generally note that
the currently (appears favoured) proposal [1] for addressing
decentralized extensibility in html(5) is currently quite reliant on
RDFa, and one of the use-cases addressed references this mail [2] from
Maciej Stachowiak, and indeed quotes directly the following:

   "it's good to allow other standards to define new HTML elements and
attributes"

and with relation to this particular thread and RDFa in general, I guess
I'd be drawing attention to the 'define new HTML elements' in addition
to attributes, without saying too much more.

Best,

Nathan

[1] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/User:Eoconnor/ISSUE-41
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Oct/0825.html