Re: RDFa Profiles, terms, and predicates (oh my!)

On Jul 23, 2010, at 15:13 , Shane McCarron wrote:

> I will of course bow to your RDF wisdom on the whole issue of rdf:term and rdf:uri.  But I feel pretty strongly that we should permit the object literal that is associated with rdf:uri to be a relative URI.  To my mind there is no reason to not support this - it isn't 'messy' in that we obviously know the current base, and RDFa Processors already obviously have to convert relative URIs into absolute URIs all the time.  Moreover, there are obvious economies in terms of authoring AND an increased ease of use for RDFa Profile authors - my profile is portable.  You can grab it, add to it, make it your own, and if I was using relative URIs for my items they will now be relative to their new home.  That's a big win.

I will have to think about this a bit more...

I see the points you raise. But an RDFa processor is usually prepared, internally, to handle relative URIs for, well, real URIs. But not for literals.

To be specific in my case (I believe this is a fairly typical one). Say my distiller parses file 'A', hits a @profile, goes out and (recursively) calls out to itself, so to say, to extract triples from that file (say, 'B'). The recursive call results in a separate graph (say, graph-B); the recursive stack is popped, and the level handling 'A' has graph-B to work with. It then examines the content of graph-B with some simple but fairly standard (RDFlib) calls to find the right triples and continues handling 'A'. This model is nice because the target URI can refer to RDFa or to any other RDF formats, ie, instead of a recursive call it can also go and invoke any RDF parser that the underlying library provides.

graph-B will contain literals for URI-s. So what you are saying is that, when the content of graph-B is handled, and the content is a relative URI, that should be completed to become an absolute one. But what is the base? You can say it is the address of file 'B', ie, the @profile value, and one can then generate a nice absolute URI. But what if 'B' includes an explicit @base? Because B is handled by a standard RDFa (or turtle or RDF/XML) processor, that value is gone by the time graph-B is generated and the (recursive) parser for B ceases to exist. Ie, some sort of an out-of-band mechanism has to be found for the recursively called parser to return the URI to the caller.

It may be simple but I am not sure at this moment whether it is...

Ivan