Re: Introductions

Hi all,

On 16.02.2010, at 16:02, Manu Sporny wrote:

> If you are going to be participating in the WG (including previous
> members of the RDFa Task Force), please send an introductory e-mail to
> the list before the telecon with the following information:
>
> * A brief background on yourself.

I'm a post-doctoral researcher at DERI at the NUI Galway in Ireland. I
have spent the past six years here at DERI, doing research in a number
of areas such as semantic blogging and semantic desktop, data
lifecycles and linked data publishing. Before that, I completed an MA
degree that involved computational linguistics and topic maps in
Cologne, Germany.

I'm one of the people behind the "Semantic Web Dog Food" site, which
hosts linked data for conferences (WWW, ISWC, ESWC, ...) and workshops
at http://data.semanticweb.org. As part of my work on an interface
between semantic desktop and blogging, I also developed a little tool
called Shift that generates RDFa snippets from various desktop
applications.

You can find my webpage and (infrequently updated) blog at http://kantenwerk.org

> * What you plan to use RDFa for at your organization (if you can talk
>  about it).

Naturally, we're quite excited about RDFa here at DERI and plan to
employ it widely in the different projects we're involved in. To give
only a few examples, this starts on an "eat your own dog food" level
with adding RDFa to our institute pages and continues in various areas
such as participation in the "RDFa in Drupal" efforts, promoting the
adoption of various vocabularies through RDFa (e.g., the SWC ontology)
and crawling RDFa for the Sindice index. Recently, Michael Hausenblas
and Richard Cyganiak also started an internal series of RDFa hacking
tutorial for fostering this.

> * What you would be interested in working on in this WG.

I think this will only really become clear once I have immersed myself
more in the WG, but so far I can think of (they all seem related):

- a way to make RDFa more robust and less reliant on valid XHTML (if
that is possible)
- finding ways of making RDFa easier to understand and use for Web
developers
- teaching RDFa and encouraging people to use it
- teaching people to use RDFa correctly - it's great that BestBuy have
adopted RDFa, but some of their data looks a bit wrong

Cheers,
Knud

> -----------------------------
>
> Here's my info:
>
> Introduction
> ------------
>
> I'm currently co-Chair of the RDFa WG, along with Ben Adida.
>
> My current interests are in for-profit, copyright-aware, peer-to-peer
> digital content distribution networks. Our company creates
> technology to
> help artists and authors that create music, movies and books to
> distribute their work via the Web. We also (financially) reward fans
> for
> distributing works on behalf of the artists while ensuring that the
> artists are paid the royalties that they desire.
>
> I'm primarily concerned with ensuring that artists and writers around
> the world can make a living creating work that positively impacts
> local
> and global culture. As the Web becomes the primary way in which we
> exchange cultural creations, we must not forget to create the
> technological mechanism that artists and writers will use to be
> rewarded
> for their work.
>
> More on my LinkedIn profile:
>
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/manusporny
>
> RDFa at Our Organization
> ------------------------
>
> We are planning on integrating RDFa with the PaySwarm[1] standards
> project for license and rights expression, audio/video metadata
> expression, pricing expression and REST/JSON Web Service API
> discovery.
> This standard's primary goal is to enable browser-based micropayments
> for the music, movie and print industries.
>
> We are currently using RDFa to express our music catalog[2] of over 1
> million songs, artists, albums and the pricing and purchase
> information
> associated with those works.
>
> Our browser-based (Firefox) plugin will eventually detect purchase
> information and HTML-based machine-readable information on how to
> transact with PaySwarm networks.
>
> RDFa Work Items of Interest
> ---------------------------
>
> My work item interests, in order of perceived importance, are:
>
> 1. Defining RDFa for HTML4 and HTML5
> 2. Native browser support of RDFa
> 3. Defining a unified RDFa API for Javascript and Browsers
> 4. Creating an RDFa Core document and XHTML, HTML4 and HTML5
> 5. SVG and ODF support
>
> -- manu
>
> [1] http://payswarm.com/
> [2] http://bitmunk.com/

> President/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
> blog: PaySwarming Goes Open Source
> http://blog.digitalbazaar.com/2010/02/01/bitmunk-payswarming/

Knud Möller, PhD
+353 - 91 - 495086
Smile Group: http://smile.deri.ie
Digital Enterprise Research Institute
   National University of Ireland, Galway
Institiúid Taighde na Fiontraíochta Digití
   Ollscoil na hÉireann, Gaillimh