Re: editorial review of TriG

Excellent.

Two remaining typos and one new one, plus a couple in-line side comments
(not critical for Last Call).

1.   "are considered to be part of the deafult graph"

(spelling of default)

2.   Security Considerations

"may also be used on Turtle documents"
"retrieved from untrusted Turtle documents "

Those should both be TriG, I believe.

And then some inline comments:

On 09/16/2013 05:56 PM, Gavin Carothers wrote:

> [...]
>     suite.
>
>         -- Sandro
>

>         Status of This Document
>
>     We should include a statement here to the effect that we might
>     skip CR, and pointing folks at the test suite, implementation
>     report, etc.  For example see the red box in the Status section of
>     http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-sparql11-query-20120724/
>
>     We can do this by hand during publication if respec somehow makes
>     it hard.
>

>         2. An Introduction to TriG
>
>         The IRI or blank node label of the graph statement may be used
>         in another graph statement which implies taking the union of
>         the tripes generated by each graph statement.
>

>     That's a pretty confusing sentence for me, and I know what it's
>     trying to say.   Plus, if we're being pedantic, the grammar also
>     allows blankNodePropertyLists and Collections to be used as graph
>     names.    Maybe go up a level and just say a trig file is the same
>     as turtle, except there are additional graph statements, each of
>     which pairs a term (which is evaluated to form a graph name) and a
>     graph in { }.    Or something like that.
>

> It does not allow for  blankNodePropertyLists and Collections to be
> graph labels.
>

>           2.1 Graph Statements
>
>         The graph name of a graph statement may be omitted.
>
>     That sounds confusingly like one could say "GRAPH { ... }".
>     Maybe we can change things to not call default graph triples
>     "graph statements"?
>

> All of the explanatory text was written before bare triples were
> legal. I need to revise most of the explanatory text clearly since
> it's no longer clear. Text updated.
>
> One CAN say { ... }
>
>         A RDF Dataset may contain only a single graph.
>
>     Could be read as saying a dataset is only allowed to contain one
>     graph.   Perhaps change to, "A simple RDF Dataset might contain
>     only a single graph statement".
>

> s/may/might
>
> Done.
>

>           4.4 Escape Sequences
>
>     In the table, the heading "Strings" should probably be a link like
>     the heading local_names
>

> Done.
>

>         5. Parsing
>
>         This section maps a string conforming to the grammar in
>         section Not found 'sec-grammar-grammar'
>         <https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/rdf/raw-file/3fcaf6781dc8/trig/index.html#sec-grammar-grammar>
>         to a set of triples by
>
>     typo in section name, I assume
>

> Fixed.
>

>           5.1 Parser State
>
>     I love the idea of linking to tests here, but alas, none of those
>     links are working.  I guess the links were copied from turtle as
>     relative links.  (Which is ironic, since the first tests are for
>     @base.)
>

> This is why my action to replace the text at /TR/Turtle/tests/ has
> taken so long, I have no idea what to do with these to avoid 404s when
> the tests should not have been published here to start with.

*shrug* I guess that's okay, although I'm a bit skeptical that link will
still work in 5 years.

We have to be very careful not to copy the tests over into /TR during
publication.    (That is, I have to not copy it, if I do the copying,
and you have to make sure the Webmaster doesn't, if you do the
publication without me.)

>         When undefines, triples are detined for the default graph.
>
>     typo in "undefines" and "detined"
>

> Fixed.
>

>     I'm not seeing any text about what this is supposed to generate:
>
>        PREFIX : <http://a.example.org/> <http://a.example.org/>
>        PREFIX : <http://b.example.org/> <http://b.example.org/>
>        :c :c :c.
>
>     Actually, looking in the Turtle spec, I don't see anything like
>     that there, either.
>

> Eh? One Triple:
>
> <http://b.example.org/ <http://b.example.org/>c>
> <http://b.example.org/ <http://b.example.org/>c>
> <http://b.example.org/ <http://b.example.org/>c> .
>
>   * Map[prefix
>     <http://localhost/%7Egavin/rdf-wg/rdf-turtle/#prefix> -> IRI]
>     |namespaces| — The second and third rule arguments (|PNAME_NS| and
>     |IRIREF|) in the prefixID production
>     <http://localhost/%7Egavin/rdf-wg/rdf-turtle/#grammar-production-prefixID> assign
>     a namespace name (|IRIREF|) for the prefix (|PNAME_NS|). Outside
>     of a |prefixID| production, any |PNAME_NS| is substituted with the
>     namespace (test: prefix1
>     <http://localhost/%7Egavin/rdf-wg/rdf-turtle/tests/#prefix1>
>     escapedNamespace1
>     <http://localhost/%7Egavin/rdf-wg/rdf-turtle/tests/#escapedNamespace1>).
>     Note that the prefix may be an empty string, per the
>     |PNAME_NS,| production: |(PN_PREFIX)? ":"| (test: default1
>     <http://localhost/%7Egavin/rdf-wg/rdf-turtle/tests/#default1>).

I don't think that text makes is clear whether repeating the same prefix
is allowed in Turtle/TriG, and if it's repeated if the namespace is
allowed to be different.     I suppose this is a Turtle issue, not a
TriG one.   Do you happen to know if we have test cases on this?

         -- Sandro