Re: New edit of RDF Semantics. (was: Re: Unable to make changes using Mercurial)

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 12:23:57 -0500
Cc: RDF WG <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
To: "Markus Lanthaler" <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net>
Yes, many thanks to you and Robin for find this, and all those bugs are now fixed, at least in my local copy. BUT now I am back stuck unable to push my changes, because

"hg push --new-branch default
warning: dvcs.w3.org certificate with fingerprint 97:4c:0e:c5:2e:95:74:5e:c7:fa:ed:07:3f:97:ab:ea:80:7a:be:7c not verified (check hostfingerprints or web.cacerts config setting)
abort: push creates new remote head 0122b0cefba2!
(you should pull and merge or use push -f to force)
pushing to https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/rdf/
searching for changes
Completed with errors, see above"

What the hell is it talking about?? None of this makes the slightest sense. What does it mean, I should pull? I am working on the SAME FILE. Nobody else is making any changes to it. What am I supposed to be merging it with??

I only just made a completely new Repository LAST NIGHT. Do I have to do that all again? And re-do my edits on the new copy, all over again??

TO hell with Mercurial and the RDF WG and the ENTIRE BLOODY W3C. I have better things to do with my time than spend hours EVERY BLOODY DAY wrestling with incomprehensible software whose only purpose is to prevent me doing a simple file transfer and which emits completely opaque error messages for no visible reason.

Pat

On Oct 24, 2013, at 10:18 AM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:

>> On Thursday, October 24, 2013 7:18 AM, Pat Hayes wrote:
>>> The latest edit (which still needs one more reference added to the
>>> group bibliography) is now at https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/rdf/raw-
>>> file/default/rdf-mt/index.html. It is still ED rather than CR, but I
>>> think I can handle that edit now.
>>>
>>> BTW, not that it really matters, but there are a bunch of ReSpec
>>> warnings in this of the form
>>> "Found linkless <a> element with text '' but no matching <dfn>"  I have
>>> no idea what causes this, because I can't find any such <a> elements.
>>> Apparently they would have to have an empty content (?)
>
> Robin had a look at your draft and found the reason for these warnings.
> Apparently, you are using a deprecated feature:
>
> On Thursday, October 24, 2013 2:38 PM, Robin Berjon wrote:
>> For the MT draft, you have a lot of <a id="rdfssemcond3"></a>, which is
>> just wrong. The old way of adding anchors was to use <a name>, and this
> has
>> indeed been supplanted by using id. But the ID isn't expected to go on the
>> a element (since it's useless) but rather on the parent element (or any
>> element, really).
>> If you fix those, you will bring the number of issues down to just two,
> which
>> are simply linking errors.
>
> I hope this helps two fix those errors.
>

> --
> Markus Lanthaler
> @markuslanthaler

IHMC                                     (850)434 8903 home
40 South Alcaniz St.            (850)202 4416   office
FL 32502                              (850)291 0667   mobile (preferred)