Re: RDF WG Resolutions

On 05/15/2013 01:31 PM, William Waites wrote:
> Apologies for not making the meeting. Edinburgh would likely take the
> opposite view and support blank nodes as graph names. This is not
> really a last minute addition, it has been something that we have
> advocated from the beginning on the grounds of consistency -- fixing
> this now simply means it doesn't have to be fixed in a future
> iteration of the standard. I am pleased that the WG has decided to
> reverse the earlier decision to disallow this. Since blank nodes act
> as variables in the SPARQL I don't think there is a serious
> inconsistency.
>
> One thing that is not clear to me is whether this means that the
> "default graph" is still a special case, or if it is just another
> graph that could be referred to by statements through a bnode.

I don't think blank-node-graph-names bears on the default graph being a
special case.

Personally, I think it makes a lot of sense to a have a default graph
for datasets in general just like it does in SPARQL. Sometimes you want
a graph and you're given a dataset, so ... which graph in the dataset
should you get?  In JSON-LD this is explicit. Perhaps we should make it
so for RDF in general.  (I would support that.   It helps the idea of a
default graph make more sense.)

In my current coding, datasets are just sets of quads, and if the fourth
field is 'undefined' (this is JavaScript, where 'undefined' is a
null-like thing), then the triples is in the default graph. Seems pretty
natural.

      -- Sandro