Re: language tags

On May 10, 2013, at 9:54 AM, David Wood wrote:

> Hi Andy,
>

> On May 10, 2013, at 08:46, Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com> wrote:
>
>> We have a number of approaches to language tags.
>>
>> * Option 1
>> Language tags are lowercase strings in the abstract data model.
>>
>> Pro:
>> It is the 2004 spec.
>> Con:
>> It's not what most system do.
>>
>> * Option 2:
>> Language tags are compared case insensitively.
>>
>> Con:
>> Unclear as to when "compare" happens
>>
>> :s :p "xyz"@en .
>> :s :p "xyz"@EN .
>>
>> 2A: When the set of triples that is the graph is created
>> => one triple, but what is written out is then not clear
>> 2B: On access:
>> => two triples
>

> This choice is purely system dependent.  Who cares?

I care. Not about case, but about completely ill-formed language tags, which if they need to be handled in the semantics will likely mean that basic RDF can have ill-formed literals which means in turn that basic RDF can have syntactic inconsistencies which means inference engines lives suddenly get more complicated, not to mention Semantics editors' lives.

Pat