Re: JSON-LD in HTML

On Mar 17, 2013, at 8:35 AM, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:

> On 03/17/2013 10:38 AM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
>> - What problem are why trying to solve here? I mean which use case
>> are we trying to address? Why would someone want to embed JSON-LD in
>> HTML? I haven't seen much JSON embedded into HTML in the wild.. and
>> JSON is extremely popular.
>
> A large company that is also a W3C member company has asked for this
> feature. They would like to give web authors the ability to mark up
> Linked Data w/o having to go to the trouble of using RDFa, Microdata,
> RDF/XML in XHTML, TURTLE in HTML, or some of the other Linked Data
> options available to web developers today.
>
> The thought is that most web developers know JSON pretty well, so they
> may not have as much of a problem with it than the technologies listed
> above. I think it's a fairly solid use case that we can support pretty
> easily in the spec.
>
>> - If we are embedding JSON-LD (not JSON), why do we need to add
>> another mechanism to reference a context? People embedding JSON-LD
>> obviously need to understand it.. so what's the problem with
>> @context?
>
> Good question... but if we use data-context, it might not be too bad
> since it's a non-normative feature. If it were normative, I'd say that
> we should introduce a new "@context" attribute name. I do agree with
> your point about not re-using data-*, though I think it's the least of
> all evils that Ivan outlined.
>
> One argument is to use @data-context for now, and if the mechanism
> becomes popular, we standardize @context. Then JSON-LD-in-HTML
> processors would need to load from @data-context or @context (where the
> latter overrides the former if both are on the same element). I'd expect
> that we'd do this in JSON-LD 1.1 /if/ this feature becomes popular.

I think the next step might be to make the RDF-in-HTML using script generic. My own RDFa processor interprets _any_ script tag with a @type matching a content-type associates with an RDF format, and extracts data from it. This seems like a generally good practice to me. Experience may show if there are any other generic container-level attributes that may be necessary here. Previous proposals for Turtle-in-RDF had a way to designate a named graph into which the RDF should be deposited, AFAIKR. Over-riding the document base could also be considered. Having non-normative ways of doing this allows for in-the-wild experience to help shape a future standard.

Gregg