Re: RDF-ISSUE-120 (set-of-triples-are-graphs): Is any set of RDF triples an RDF graph? [RDF Concepts]

On Mar 14, 2013, at 1:17 PM, Antoine Zimmermann wrote:

> So, if I have a set of RDF graphs (say, in a specification based on RDF semantics) I do not have any concept from RDF that I can use to treat it as a single graph, as far as truth is concerned.

What?? No, this is nonsense.

> Why should this be the case in RDF 1.1? What was fundamentally wrong with having such a notion? What is it trying to address?

It is not the case. I have no idea what you are thinking which can lead you to this idea.

> Now, what is the truth of a set of triples? RDF 1.1 Semantics currently do not say, cf. the semantic condition on bnode assumes this:
>
> """
> If E is an RDF graph then I(E) = true if [I+A](E) = true for some mapping A from the set of blank nodes in the scope of E to IR, otherwise I(E)= false.
> """
>
> What is the scope of E when E contains bnodes from different scopes?

It cannot contain nodes from different scopes, by definition of "scope" (or by the axiom, if you like, which says that every RDF graph must have a single scope for its bnodes.)

> The other thing is: what is the scope of the merge?

It is a new scope, defined by the document or structure which represents the merge. (Assuming we are talking about bnodeID scopes, as in the current draft text. If we were talking about bscopes, from my earlier email, then it would simply be a new bscope, which is why we would have the "copy" language. But let us keep that idea restricted to emails for now.)

> A complete graph has bnodes in only one scope. Therefore, the union of two different complete graphs is necessarily containing bnodes in different scopes. So merge creates non-scoped-graphs.

No, it creates a new scope to contain the merge. (Or, if this is possible, it could re-use another scope, if one exists which contains all the bnodes in the graphs being merged.)

> And by the definitions in Section "Notation and terminology", a surface syntax can only serialise scopoed graph, so a surface syntax cannot serialise the merge.

Of course it can. The very act of making the merge as a graph document creates the scope. Every actual RDF document or datastructure defines a scope, and the triples in it comprise a scoped graph.

> Should I really spend all of my time writing down counter arguments? Don't you (or anyone) see that there *is* a problem with the proposed design?

No. There is no problem with this design, other than your stubbornness in refusing to understand basic ideas of how notations work.

Pat