Re: reopen ISSUE-97 and reclose next week - should interpretations be relative to a vocabulary

On Mar 7, 2013, at 8:58 AM, Antoine Zimmermann wrote:

> Peter,
>
> Le 06/03/2013 19:30, Peter Patel-Schneider a écrit :
>> I propose that we reopen ISSUE-97 and resolve it differently at the
>> teleconference next week.
>>
>> ISSUE-97 concerns whether
>>
>> ex:john ex:age "22"^^xsd:integer
>> {xsd:integer}-entails
>> ex:john ex:age "+22"^^xsd:integer
>
> This has been decided to be solved independently of ISSUE-97.
> Thinking about it, the idea to make the mapping IL partial is good if interpretations do not depend on a vocabulary, since it does not force all literals to denote.
>

>> or the empty graph RDFS-entails
>> ex:john rdf:type rdfs:Resource
>>
>> In the 2004 version of RDF these entailments do *not* hold, the first
>> because there are {xsd:integer}-interpretations where "22"^^xsd:integer is
>> in the vocabulary but "+22"^^xsd:integer is not.   I believe that all RDF
>> implementations do *not* work this way.  Instead they take the very
>> reasonable idea that all interpretations involved in the reasoning must
>> interpret all the vocabulary in both the LHS and the RHS.
>
> I don't believe that all implementations make "ex:john rdf:type rdfs:Resource" true in all cases.
>
> Consider the following. According to SPARQL 1.1 with RDFS entailment regime:
>
> ASK WHERE { <myURI>  a  rdfs:Resource }
>
> must return false if <myURI> is not a term in the dataset.

?? Really? That is crazy in any RDF semantics, including the 2004 semantics. All URIs denote, even if they aren't in a particular dataset.

Can you point to where this behavior is specified?

> The easiest way to implement that is to use a reasoner that implements RDF 2004 Semantics.

I don't think so. The 2004 semantics doesn't have any provision for a URI to fail to denote, and in RDFS, the universe *is* the interpretation of rdfs:Resource, so the denotation of <myURI> is in it.

> If one uses a reasoner that implements RDF 1.1 Semantics (as currently written), one has to be careful with such cases.

I don't think its a matter of being careful, just one of getting the specs right. :-)

Pat