Re: rdfs:Graph ? comment on http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-concepts/#section-dataset and issue 35

On 07/16/2013 12:21 AM, Pat Hayes wrote:
> On Jul 15, 2013, at 10:14 AM, Jeremy J Carroll wrote:
>
>> Hi Sandro
>>
>> to reply, in turn informally
> And my 2c, also informal.

I wonder if we should loosen the dont-reply-to-comments rule.    A few
like this seems fine, but I'm enjoying not having the out-of-control
threads.  I replied more to Jeremy, here:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2013Jul/0030.html

>> I want to say simple stuff like who wrote a graph named in the dataset. The easiest way to do this is to attach the metadata to the name. This currently is not supported by RDF and I would like to have a clear technical explanation as to why, rather than a political rationale (which is of course totally understandable) "we didn't pick a semantics for datasets, because there are so many different ones out there already, so nothing we could pick wouldn't cause someone problems."
>
> The basic problem is that there are two ways to think of the semantics of graph names, each one internally consistent and useful, but mutually incompatible. One is your and Sandro's preferred reading where the graph name IRI denotes the graph, and is so used in metadata expressed in RDF. The other is that the graph name is a third argument to the properties used in the named graph, and a dataset expresses trinary rather than binary predications, or (if you like) binary predications with an extra "parameter" (or you could call it a "context"; these are all formally equivalent.) For example, this would be the natural way to interpret graph names which refer to times or dates, meaning that the assertions in the graph are indexed to that time. Applications using graph "names" as parameters in this way already exist. The key point about them is that the extra argument/parameter/context does not *refer to* the graph.

Very interesting.   Yes, I think I understand that a little better
now.   It's much more sophisticated than my example in the
above-referenced email about gbox-vs-gsnap reference.

In his reply to my reply, Jeremy also said, quite reasonably:

    I would like to have a clear technical explanation as to why, rather than a political rationale (which is of course totally understandable) "we didn't pick a semantics for datasets, because there are so many different ones out there already, so nothing we could pick wouldn't cause someone problems."

I guess that would go in the Dataset Semantics NOTE.   [Except that
we're talked about two of these (one by me, focusing on programming, and
one by Antoine, focusing on formal semantics), and I'm not sure either
will get written.  :-(  ]

      -- Sandro