Re: Problem with auto-generated fragment IDs for graph names

On 2013-02-14, at 03:24, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:

> On 02/13/2013 05:11 PM, Richard Cyganiak wrote:
>> PROPOSAL: Put @id on all graphs.
>>
>> Why the aversion against simple and obvious solutions?
>
> The simple and obvious solution you propose is wrong for developers.
>
> It attempts to side-step an arbitrary constraint imposed on developers
> by RDF Concepts by making developers lives harder. Worse, it ignores the
> reality of transient messages, including transient RDF Datasets that
> must be identified with document-local identifiers if the digital
> signatures are going to work out.
>
> Look at this from the standpoint of a Web Payments message. Something
> that is completely transient, but needs to be digitally signed:
>
> [{
>  "@graph": {
>    "source": "http://mybank.com/accounts/manu",
>    "destination": "http://yourbank.com/accounts/richard",
>    "amount": "5.00",
>    "currency": "USD"
>  }
> },{
>  "@graph": {
>    "source": "http://mybank.com/accounts/manu",
>    "destination": "http://yourbank.com/accounts/kingsley",
>    "amount": "5.00",
>    "currency": "USD"
>  }
> }]

That's all predicated on the thinking that this ^^ is the right modelling for what you're trying to express in RDF. I'm not sure it is.

I would have gone for (in Turtle, I'm not familiar enough with JSON-LD):

[
    :source acc:manu ;
    :destination acc:richard ;
    :amount: 5.00 ;
    :currency :USD ;
] , [
    :source acc:manu ;
    :destination acc:kingsley ;
    :amount: 5.00 ;
    :currency :USD ;
]

you still have the problem of no persistent identifiers for your blobs, but that can be fixed with skolemisation, if you do it with anonymous named graphs, you're screwed.

- Steve

--
Steve Harris
Experian