Re: Dataset Syntax - checking for consensus

On Sep 26, 2012, at 14:19, Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us> wrote:
> On Sep 26, 2012, at 2:23 AM, Antoine Zimmermann wrote:
>> Le 26/09/2012 07:21, Pat Hayes a écrit :
>>>
>>> On Sep 25, 2012, at 9:28 PM, Sandro Hawke wrote:
>>
>> <skip/>

>>> OK, I will try again.
>>>
>>> People want to "label" a graph with a URI they are using to denote
>>> something else, eg a person. The same URI cannot denote two things at
>>> once. So the current proposal for a minimal semantics distinguishes
>>> the thing denoted from the graph "named", by having a GR-EXT function
>>> from things to graphs. But this means that when the URI is used in
>>> RDF, it denotes the something else, not the graph. So you don't get
>>> to use it in RDF metadata to refer to the graph. We could throw this
>>> semantics away, and say that the name really does denote the graph it
>>> "names", which has always made sense to me (and, apparently, to
>>> Peter, who is arguing the case right now), but then it can't also
>>> denote this other thing that people want it to denote, or perhaps
>>> better, want to have the freedom to make it denote.
>>>
>>> I can't help observing that this very basic point about URIs and
>>> naming has been bloody obvious since day one, and yet apparently this
>>> WG is STILL, after over a year, unable to gets its collective head
>>> around it.
>>
>> This is really a mean attack against the people who are trying to design the semantics.
>
> No, emphasis on "collective". It is an observation that some of the WG are trying to design semantics for use, and other parts of the WG are assuming, and working on the assumption, that semantics is completely irrelevant and they will implement something handy and ignore the semantics.

I would characterize that differently:  Some in the WG wish to implement software applications for which they have use cases.  They can't be faulted for doing so.  Naturally, they view semantics as formalizing what they already do (theory following practice).  In converse, others wish to create a model theory and suggest that implementors follow it (practice following theory).  They have good theoretical reasons for thinking so and cannot therefore be faulted.

We have a perspective problem.  Our challenge as a WG is to see each others' (legitimate) perspective.  If we can do that (and occasionally we do) then we can find a compromise on this issue.

Regards,
Dave