Re: Dataset Syntax - checking for consensus

* Antoine Zimmermann <antoine.zimmermann@emse.fr> [2012-09-26 09:23+0200]
> Le 26/09/2012 07:21, Pat Hayes a écrit :
> >
> >On Sep 25, 2012, at 9:28 PM, Sandro Hawke wrote:
>
> <skip/>

> >>Explain?
> >
> >OK, I will try again.
> >
> >People want to "label" a graph with a URI they are using to denote
> >something else, eg a person. The same URI cannot denote two things at
> >once. So the current proposal for a minimal semantics distinguishes
> >the thing denoted from the graph "named", by having a GR-EXT function
> >from things to graphs. But this means that when the URI is used in
> >RDF, it denotes the something else, not the graph. So you don't get
> >to use it in RDF metadata to refer to the graph. We could throw this
> >semantics away, and say that the name really does denote the graph it
> >"names", which has always made sense to me (and, apparently, to
> >Peter, who is arguing the case right now), but then it can't also
> >denote this other thing that people want it to denote, or perhaps
> >better, want to have the freedom to make it denote.
> >
> >I can't help observing that this very basic point about URIs and
> >naming has been bloody obvious since day one, and yet apparently this
> >WG is STILL, after over a year, unable to gets its collective head
> >around it.

> The current proposal is not inconsistent with what Sandro wants. You
> can say:
>
> { <n> a sd:Graph;
>     eg:hasSomeMetadataProp <x> . }
> <n> {
>   #some triples
> }
>
> Also, make it clear in the graph-metadata vocabulary that a sd:Graph
> is, say, a graph description. Oh, BTW, it already exists and it is
> on the verge of getting standardised. It's called SPARQL 1.1 Service
> description.
>
> A quick look at the proposed semantics clearly shows that the
> example is consistent.

expanding the example to illustrate the dual use of the graph "identifier":

{ <Bob> a sd:Graph;
    eg:cached "2012009-26T11:25Z" . }
<Bob> {
  <Bob> a foaf:Person .
}

so <Bob> denotes the union of a person and a graph.

Jeni Tennison talks about this in terms of a pun
  http://www.jenitennison.com/blog/node/170
but the root of the issue is good old http-range 14.
Two other range 14 resolutions are:

hash:
{ <Bob> a sd:Graph;
    eg:cached "2012009-26T11:25Z" . }
<Bob> {
  <Bob#me> a foaf:Person .
}

vs. slash:
{ <Bob> http:seeAlso <BobzPage> .
  <BobzPage> a sd:Graph;
    eg:cached "2012009-26T11:25Z" . }
<BobPage> {
  <Bob> a foaf:Person .
}

Both of these impose restrictions which a lot of existing data do not follow.

--
-ericP