Re: Really minimal dataset semantics

On 09/20/2012 05:49 AM, Antoine Zimmermann wrote:
> Le 19/09/2012 22:12, Peter F. Patel-Schneider a écrit :

[...]
>> I also have problems with any dataset semantics that isn't based on the
>> actual form of the named graphs.
>
> I don't understand this.
>
>>   Isn't a major use of datasets
>> supposed to be for associating a graph with its source?
>
> Sure. This type of use case is compatible with the semantics.
>

>>  if so, neither
>> of these two semantics seems to be correct, as the meaning of a named
>> graph in a dataset is not a graph but is instead something like an
>> equivalence class of graphs.
>
> I don't understand. Where do you see equivalence classes?

Interpretations for named graphs talk directly about entailment.  If you
change an interpretation by replacing a named graph with an equivalent one,
then the truth values don't change.

>>  The semantics then destroys the
>> relationship between the name and the actual graph.
>
> It does not destroy anything because a semantics does not *do* anything. The
> actual relationship between the name and the actual graph is written in the
> dataset.
> You could argue along these lines saying that the RDF semantics destroys the
> relationship between the property names and the actual pairs
> (subject,object) that are actually in the graph.
> If you want to know what subjects or objects occur with a predicate inside a
> graph, just look at the graph. There are APIs for this.
> Same for datasets.

In the semantics there is no notion of a relationship between a name and an
actual graph.

If named graphs and RDF datasets are supposed to carry a relationship between
a name and an actual graph, then shouldn't the semantics reflect this?

This is totally different from properties.  No one should be arguing that RDF
graphs are supposed to carry a relationship between a name and a set of
pairs.  Instead this is what the semantics does.

>  (Of course, you
>> could always just ignore the semantics and directly use the graph from
>> the dataset, but then what is the point of having the named graph there?)
>
> The data structure is also very important, just as in RDF graphs, the data
> structure is already a nice way of organising the data, linking data
> together, etc. Semantics does not have to come into play where it has no role.
>

> --AZ

Huh?  If the meaning of a named graph is tied up with relating names to
graphs, then the semantics certainly has a role there.

peter