Re: life without dataset semantics

On 09/19/2012 10:06 AM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:

> On 09/19/2012 10:02 AM, Sandro Hawke wrote:
>> On 09/19/2012 09:48 AM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>>> I'm not convinced that there is any need to restrict properties like
>>> sendCorrectionsTo to datasets.
>>>

>> How else could you define/document it?     In writing the property
>> documentation, I find myself needing some way to talk about those
>> intended triples (the ones containing the information that the
>> corrections are about).  Without a dataset or some global relation
>> underlying dataset semantics, I don't know how to do that.
>>
>>     -- Sandro
>
> You could just say that it is a relation between the name/location of
> a graph and something else.  in a dataset it would be the named graph
> in that dataset (or not).  Elsewhere it would refer to the graph at a
> location.

But the documentation of the predicate would still need to talk about
how its fitting inside a dataset, right?    In the design you're
suggesting it would *also* have to talk about Web dereferencing, in the
case where the named graph is absent.   I'd hate for every predicate
about graphs to have to explain all this, each time.

        -- Sandro