Re: Re 2: Agenda for 19 Sep 2012

On Sep 18, 2012, at 7:33 AM, Ivan Herman wrote:

> Peter,
>
> still trying to understand, bear with me.
>
> RDF entailment is described in terms of I-s, so I try to translate what you describe in terms of those; this would allow me to compare with the original proposal. What you seem to say that a model for a Dataset (G, <n1,G1>,...,<nk,Gk>) is a (I0,I1,...,Ik) so that I0 satisfies G, and Ii satisfies Gi. Ie, the models for each element of the dataset are mutually 'independent' from one another.

I don't think that was what Peter was suggesting. (Was it??)

> If this is true, then I vaguely remember that this approach was discussed at some point in the past, and Pat was pretty much against it. I do not remember his exact arguments, but essentially what it leads to is that if the same 'u' appears in G1 and G2, this would amount to assigning a very different meaning to the same 'u', depending on which graph it is contained in. And that was, for Pat, a big no-no:-) (Pat, is my recollection correct?)

Your recollection is correct, but much has happened since then. I now can understand this IRI-local-to-the-graph idea as a form of contextual reasoning, and Antoine and I have agreed on how to modify his original proposal so that this is made clear. I have further elaborated this idea to a redesign of the 2004 RDF semantics allowing for contextual assertions (see http://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/wiki/AnotherSpin). So this old debate has now moved forward a considerable way, although apparently not many people in the group have been paying close attention :-)

> Also, there is a vague inconsistency then in terms of the current RDF Semantics. *I know* this is not exactly the same but, nevertheless, here is what the current text says in section 2
>
> [[[
> Following conventional terminology, I satisfies E if I(E)=true, and a set S of RDF graphs (simply) entails a graph E if every interpretation which satisfies every member of S also satisfies E.
> ]]]
>
> Ie, the current semantics document talks about a set of graphs, and the structure clearly refers to an I satisfying *every* member of the set. Again, *I know* this is not the same as the datasets but, nevertheless, for a casual user, it would make it a bit inconsistent if we had a different approach for a collection of graphs in a dataset...

I would like some guidance on how far we are supposed to dumb down for the "casual" user, which I take it means the user who can't be bothered (or maybe hasn't the capacity) to actually read the specs.

To treat a set of expressions as being essentially their conjunction, **when describing entailment** is so obvious that it hardly needs to be said. Imagine you are proving something from some assumptions. I give you a set of assumptions to work from: that means you can use them all, right? Which is like saying, you can assume them ALL to be true. (What else could it mean?) But this doesn't imply that **every** set of sentences is a conjunction. Like, for example, if I have a disjunction of a set of sentences, its not a conjunction. And this is not even a tiny bit inconsistent.

Pat