different Semantics proposals (Re: Agenda for 19 Sep 2012)

On 09/17/2012 02:02 PM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
> My participation this week is at risk.

Unfortunately timing; maybe this can be sorted out somewhat in email
before the meeting.

> I cast my vote AGAINST:
>
> PROPOSED: Editors should integrate the "Minimal Semantics" design and
> included test cases into Working Drafts and the Test Suite, with the
> understanding that this is the approach we will use unless serious
> problems emerge. Any specific issues people have with this design
> should be RAISE'd soon.
>
> As indicated multiple times in the past, I am in favour of a weaker
> semantics for RDF datasets either no semantics at all or maybe
> something like.
> 1/ No change to the semantics for RDF graphs.
> 2/ Entailment between RDF datasets  D1=<G1,N1> and D2=<G2,N2> is
> defined as
>     a) G1 entails G2
>     b) for each <n,g> in N2 there is some <n,g'> in N2 such that g'
> entails g,
>                                   or if there is no such <n,g'> then
> the empty RDF graph entails g
> I could also live with a semantics that eliminated this last disjunct.
>
> My reasons for preferring a weaker semantics are that I don't want to
> have certain uses for RDF datasets ruled out by a particular semantics
> at this time, when no one know just how RDF datasets will be used.
> One kind of use that I am thinking of is just using RDF datasets to
> record multiple graphs, which no commitment to any interchange of
> information between the named graphs or between the default graph and
> the named graphs or even any commitment to having the names being
> formally related to the graphs.

Can you be a little more specific, and tell a story about something
specific someone is likely to want to do that they could do with your
proposed semantics and not with the proposal on the agenda?

(The two things I see are: (1) the default graph being "asserted", which
seems easy enough to work around if desired [just use a named graph],
and (2) URIs being interpreted the same way throughout the dataset...
but I can't see what harm that could cause.   Maybe I'm on the wrong
track.  Okay, I'm also concerned about unwanted-but-valid inference
being done, but that's an issue throughout RDF, not just about datasets.)

       -- Sandro