Re: Test cases and examples for dataset entailment

Le 11/09/2012 19:46, Richard Cyganiak a écrit :
> On 11 Sep 2012, at 14:37, Antoine Zimmermann wrote:

[skip]

>> However, people who are interested in implementing support for the
>> vocabulary can interpret the terms in a special way. People already
>> do that. There are tools that display instances of foaf:Person in a
>> special way. There are Web crawlers that interpret the voiD
>> vocabulary in a special way. They do not need that the special
>> interpretation be hard coded in reasoners.
>
> I don't know what your point is. A semantic extension is not a
> requirement for hard coding anything in a reasoner.

I realise that we, and others, may not have the same idea of what a
proper semantic restriction is. For me, a semantic restriction is, for
instance, what RDFS is to RDF, what D-entailment is to RDFS and what OWL
Full is to D-entailment.

If you want to implement RDFS semantics, you have to hard code the
entailment, consistency check and such things in a reasoner.

With the direct graph semantics you propose, it is a non-monotonic
extension because when you switch this semantics on, the entailments you
could do with the "minimal" semantics are not valid anymore. I don't
think that's how people think of an extension. They probably do not
expect that extensions make you lose what you had before.
It also means that people who do not use the extension get conclusions
contradicting those who use the extension. This is not the case with
RDFS, OWL, etc. If you do not use D-entailment, you are not going to get
any conclusions that contradicts those who use it. And those who switch
the D-entailment semantics on do not lose anything they could conclude
without it.

I understand that you wrote this merely as an example, and it indeed
proves that such semantics can be defined as a semantic extension of our
"minimal" proposal. I provided similar things myself already [1]. But
even when I was writing this, I was not convinced by the utility. I only
used it as a proof that it can be done, formally.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/wiki/TF-Graphs/Dataset-semantics

--AZ

>> If I had to directly talk about a graph in a named graph, I would
>> do it like this:
>>
>> :g  a  sd:Graph; :validityTime  "1998-09-11"^^xsd:date; ... :g  {
>> :bob  :employedBy  :ibm }
>>
>> It works, as long as I am using an agreed upon, explicit
>> specification of a shared conceptualisation, a.k.a. an ontology.
>
> Yeah, and that's exactly the example I gave, except I called it
> rdf:Graph instead of sd:Graph, and formalized the implicit assumption
> that :g actually denotes { :bob :employedBy :ibm } as opposed to some
> other graph. You can't do that just by defining an ontology.
>
> The benefit of formalizing this is that, for example, if I define a
> Turtle datatype then it will just work, and I can infer
>
> { :g owl:sameAs ":bob :employedBy :ibm"^^xxx:Turtle }
>
> from the dataset above, modulo namespace declaration.
>
> Best, Richard
>

>> AZ.

>>> I've worked a bit on this item and made attempts to formalize
>>> three semantic extensions:
>>>
>>> * owl:imports (formally explains how owl:imports works in RDF
>>> datasets) * web datasets (formally defines that stuff published
>>> on the web is asserted) * direct graph semantics (permits
>>> "literal" immutable graphs)
>>>
>>> http://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/wiki/TF-Graphs/Minimal-dataset-semantics#Possible_Semantic_Extensions

I'm not proposing that we should standardize any of this; the intention
is merely to explore how flexible/extensible the semantics proposed on
that page is.

--
Antoine Zimmermann
ISCOD / LSTI - Institut Henri Fayol
École Nationale Supérieure des Mines de Saint-Étienne
158 cours Fauriel
42023 Saint-Étienne Cedex 2
France
Tél:+33(0)4 77 42 83 36