Re: n-quads & Turtle Levels

On 30 May 2012, at 00:52, Sandro Hawke wrote:
> I'm not sure N-Triples as currently defined even needs a name in the new
> regime

I think it does, for backwards compatibility. Claiming that all currently published N-Triples isn't N-Triples any more but is just general Turtle is not good.

> Another thought about canonical syntaxes: let's specify a single TAB
> between terms.

Some editing environments make it really hard to type tabs, or silently convert tabs to spaces.

It's also hard to get it into some people's heads that the difference between a tab and lots of spaces can be significant, and since we're positioning N-Triples also as a very-easy-to-generate syntax, anything that makes it more complex hurts.

Requiring tabs would almost guarantee that we get lots of data that claims to be N-Triples, but isn't.

In a format that requires tabs, you cannot eyeball a file to tell whether it is correct. You need a validator, or need to be very savvy about your text editing environment.

Best,
Richard