Re: Redefining “resource”

On 5/25/12 10:59 AM, Dan Brickley wrote:
> On 25 May 2012 17:06, Kingsley Idehen<kidehen@openlinksw.com>  wrote:
>
>> We don't have to redefine 'Resource'. All we have to do is assume that
>> readers of the spec understand that a URI denotes an entity and URLs
>> identify resources.
> a) URL is not a current precisely standardised technical term
> b) Neither is 'resource'

Yes, so we can clarify what they are with regards to RDF, while being
compatible with REST, and the rest of the data access world. Failing to
do that ultimately guarantees vulnerability to old distractions that
eternally impede coherent RDF conversations, evangelism, and training.

An Entity is any observation subject. Basically, anything.
An HTTP URI denotes an Entity.
An HTTP URI identifies a Resource (directly by via its location/address
and indirectly via indirection).
Web Resources have mime types.
Web Resources are network accessible Files.

What is a File?

"*Files*are uniformly regarded as consisting of a*stream of bytes*; the
system makes no assumptions as to their contents. Thus the structure of
files is controlled solely by the programs which read and write them. A
file of ASCII text, for example,*consists*simply of a stream of
characters delimited by the new-line characters. The notion of physical
record is fairly well submerged." -- Dennis Ritchie

The RDF spec is/should only be concerned about URIs as an Entity
Denotation mechanism.

Linked Data (an *optional* application of RDF) is concerned about Entity
Denotation and Resource Identification. Said concern arises from the
fact that it combines Entity Denotation and Resource Identification, via
implicit (hash) or explicit (hashless) indirection.

Kingsley