Re: RDF Semantics Editors Draft?

Pat,

I see your point to keep the model theory part as normative. And I have no problem with this, as a means to give a clear mathematical definition of what is going on.

However, I am much less dismissive about the rules as you are, and please do not regret having added them to the document:-) They are not the only and probably not the most efficient way of implementing RDF(S) semantics. Some of them (like the lg/gl rules) need at least some explanation why they are there. However, I persist in saying that they are much more didactic to the casual RDF user in explaining what is happening in the semantics (and, in that, they are *extremely* valuable). As for implementers, let us not forget that what you need is not always a highly efficient, top-of-the-class reasoner: In many cases the quick-and-dirty approach, with a forward chaining on those rules, is the best way of implementing the necessary semantics, and the good thing about this is that anybody with a programming background can do that (I will give you an example below). Also, if we get to the point (which I would love to get to) where a simple rule language is available and used for RDF (ie, some sort of a RIF-downsized-to-RF) then those rules can be fed into such a rule engine and do the trick. Much like RIF has created a document on how OWL 2 RL can be implemented using the rule set in the OWL 2 document using a RIF engine. So, let us *not* downplay the role and importance of those rules.

(An example where  they are useful: there are some options of using an partial RDF(S) reasoner in RDFa, as an optional feature with vocabularies. An RDFa extractor can easily implement those by using those rules, or a subset thereof; in view of the size of the RDF graph at hand, ie, the graph extracted from an HTML file, efficiency of that reasoner is simply not a real issue. But that means any RDFa distiller implementer can do that easily, without any prior knowledge in model theory. This is exactly what I did...)

My original idea was to reorganize the semantics document by putting the rules on the forefront for the reader; I do not mind if those are kept non-normative, with the model theory being the normative one. Putting the rules into the test case document is not really a good idea in my view: the test cases are really used by hard core implementers, and a casual RDF user, who wants to understand things, will not have the idea of reading that document. We could put them into concepts, but I am afraid of concepts becoming a bit too large and, besides, concepts does not really talk about RDFS. Maybe in RDF Schemas? In any case: let us not hide them!

Cheers

Ivan

On May 13, 2012, at 08:45 , Pat Hayes wrote:

> Apologies for not getting involved with this thread earlier, I somehow missed it while travelling.
>
> I agree that people who know nothing about reasoning and logics may find model theory a bit opaque at first. It may be a way of thinking that they are not used to. On the other hand, it can be reasonably claimed that without a basic grasp of at least the basic ideas of interpretation and satisfaction, they will never be able to understand how to implement a modern reasoning engine. And I would suggest that without this basic grasp, they will never be competent ontology engineers. And also that it is not exactly rocket science.
>
> The problem with making the rules normative is that these rules are NOT in fact a good way to implement a reasoner. Any sensible reasoner will not use rules like se1 or se2, which (as the text explains) will generate all kinds of redundant and pointless conclusions, or lg and gl, which are much better handled by allowing literals into the subject position. But in any case, the whole approach which is suggested by these rules and the entailment lemmas, of checking entailment by applying rules to exhaustion, is extremely naive and cannot even be used for more expressive languages like OWL. Encouraging implementors to use this as a viable approach is leading them into a dead end. (I now regret even mentioning rules in the semantics document, and especially suggesting that they could be the basis of an implementation. I had no idea people would take them this seriously. I think they should be in a separate doument entirely, perhaps as part of the test cases, and no claims should be made as to their completeness, and no long and extremely opaque (and flawed) completeness proofs should be included, even in an appendix. Nobody gives a damn about completeness in any case.)
>
> I am sympathetic to the idea that RDF should simply not have a formally defined semantics at all. This would solve all of these (and many other) problems at a stroke, and I could get on with other things in my life. However, if it does have a semantics, then I don't think anything other than a model theory can work. There are too many alternative ways to implement a reasoning engine for any one of them to be taken as normative; and in any case, model-theoretic semantics has been the accepted norm for semantic specifications in linguistics, logic, database theory and the theory of computation now for about 40 years, and for very good reasons; it seems crazy and close to irresponsible to reject it for the foundational language of something called the *semantic* web.

> [...]

----
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153