Re: Ambiguity of "RDF namespace" - was: Re: Contradicting definitions of "property"

On May 3, 2012, at 6:00 PM, Richard Cyganiak wrote:

> Tom,
>
> Here's my take on this. The RDF 1.1 Concepts draft defines “RDF vocabulary”:
>
> [[
> An RDF vocabulary is a collection of IRIs with clearly established referents intended for use in RDF graphs.
> ]]
>
> Based on that, I'd say:
>
> In the RDF context, any set of IRIs that start with the same substring are a namespace. The shared substring is the namespace's namespace IRI. This says nothing about what these IRIs identify or what they dereference to; it's purely a matter of IRI syntax.
>
> Some namespace IRIs are often conventionally associated with a specific namespace prefix.
>
> It is very common for all IRIs in an RDF vocabulary to be in the same namespace. In this case, it makes sense to speak of the vocabulary's namespace IRI.
>
> It is a useful convention to make the vocabulary namespace IRI resolvable and publish a document there, and describe the vocabulary's terms in that document. The document is known as a namespace document. As usual, it's a good idea to provide HTML *and* RDF representations of a namespace document.
>
> There is no such thing as “an RDF namespace”. There is *the* RDF namespace, which is the set of all IRIs starting with “http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#”.
>
> So, you can talk precisely about the “SKOS namespace IRI” (it is “http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core#”) or the “SKOS namespace prefix” (it is “skos”) or the “SKOS vocabulary” (it contains skos:Concept, skos:broader, skos:prefLabel and so on).
>
> The wording used in RDF Schema — “class X is defined in the Y namespace” — is sloppy language, IMO. Classes are defined in documents, not in namespaces.

+1

> You can argue about whether skos:Concept is defined in the SKOS specification or in the SKOS namespace document, but saying that “it is defined in the SKOS namespace” doesn't really make sense. The IRI of the class X may be in the Y namespace.
>
> What is identified by a namespace IRI? It is up to the IRI owner to tell us.
>
> It is a useful convention to do so in the namespace document. In the case of slash namespace IRIs, the namespace IRI coincides with the IRI of the namespace document, so that's what it identifies. In a hash namespace IRI, the IRI of the namespace document is the namespace IRI minus the trailing hash, so the namespace IRI might potentially identify something other than the namespace document. My preferred setup (which differs from early W3C practice) is to have it identify *nothing*, and just talk about the hash-less IRI of the namespace document.

How about: If it identifies anythjing, then that thing should be a document or website which "defines" it in some more or less formal way, ie sets out to explain what it means.

> If the definitions of the terms in the vocabulary are expressed in RDFS and OWL, then it is common to state that the terms are defined in an “owl:Ontology”. I think it is natural to say that the namespace document *is* the ontology, and use the same IRI for both. Some disagree with this, saying that an ontology is not a document, but that position makes no sense to me.

It makes sense to me, but Im happy to ignore it.

> I can print out an ontology and staple it on the wall.

Its like saying that your particular copy of Moby Dick (to take an example at random) is not the actual Work. You can nail your book to the wall, but not Moby Dick, the (one) thing authored by Melville, the actual Work. Which does make sense, though its not particularly useful here.

Pat