Re: strawman draft of "RDF Data Layers and Datasets"

On 2 May 2012, at 07:47, Guus Schreiber wrote:

> On 02-05-2012 15:42, Sandro Hawke wrote:
>> I took the liberty of moving forward with drafting a possible spec, so
>> we have something to look at.   Several sections are empty, but I'm
>> pretty happy with what's there.  The example is that same as on the
>> "Layers" page on the wiki.
>
> Terminology issue (I would by no means want to disturb any arising consensus).
>
> I don't think the term "layer" will do the required trick. I cannot but associate it with vertical relations. The term we choose should have both vertical and horizontal connotations.

+1, I've spend too much time using Photoshop and similar tools to be able to get that model out of my head.

The OED definition is pretty clear that it indicated overlapping surfaces, generally with an implied hierarchy:

noun
1 a sheet, quantity, or thickness of material, typically one of several, covering a surface or body: bears depend on a layer of blubber to keep them warm in the water | figurative : a larger missile would provide a layer of defense at higher altitudes.
• a level of seniority in the hierarchy of an organization: a managerial layer.
2 [ in combination ] a person or thing that lays something: the worms are prolific egg-layers.
3 a shoot fastened down to take root while attached to the parent plant.

verb [ with obj. ] (often as adj. layered)
1 arrange in a layer or layers: the current trend for layered clothes.
• cut (hair) in overlapping layers: her layered, shoulder-length hair.
2 propagate (a plant) as a layer: a layered shoot.
ORIGIN Middle English (denoting a mason): from lay + -er. The sense ‘stratum of material covering a surface’ (early 17th cent.)

>                                                                          I'd prefer "box": boxes can be put next to each other
> or on top of each other.

Box has connotations of A-Box and T-Box, but otherwise is less confusing than layer.

- Steve

--
Steve Harris, CTO
Garlik, a part of Experian