Re: the choice of the term "layer"

On 2 May 2012, at 12:14, Thomas Baker wrote:

> On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 12:15:17PM -0400, Sandro Hawke wrote:
>>> The main reason I like 'layer' (and surface) is that data integration
>>> is RDF's defining and most under-sold feature, and this metaphor does
>>> highlight that feature...
>>
>> I agree.    Unfortunately, when I looked at the title "RDF Layers" with
>> fresh eyes, I immediately thought of the SemWeb layer cake.  :-(   So, I
>> put in "Data", sometimes calling them "Data Layers" to help with that.
>>
>> In the draft I currently have it flagged as an open issue, with some
>> other possibilities listed.  The one I woke up with this morning was
>> "spaces".   Conceptually it's close enough to tuple spaces that I think
>> the similarity in names would probably be okay.  (I just learned what
>> Linda was named after...!  Who knew...?)
>>
>> (Downside to "space" is that is start with "s", so quads are (S,P,O,S)
>> which is annoying.)
>
> "Plane"?  Planes are two-dimensional, as opposed to spaces, which are
> (I think) three-dimensional.  Annoyingly, though, it starts with "p".

For what it's worth, before the term Named Graph was in common use we tended to refer to the 4th slot as the Model (S, P, O, M), and you still see that terminology in use in quad systems sometimes. something tells me that it's going to have some horribly conflicting / specific / overloaded definition in logic though :)

- Steve

--
Steve Harris, CTO
Garlik, a part of Experian